Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Bad, Bad Yahoo Messenger

I'm using Yahoo Messenger for IM at my current contract. It gets to send out quick messages to folks and works well. Our Exchange servers are 2/3 a continent away and email can sometimes take 5+ minutes to be sent. This morning when I logged in I was prompted by Yahoo to update it. Not a problem. the new version has a smaller footprint and the upgrade went smoothly. But they violated a couple cardinal laws, at least in the eyes of many people. They automatically changed my default browsers homepage to their own. And they added the Yahoo toolbar. I can understand doing this if my settings were that I was already using them. But I wasn't. I associate actions like this with seedy types. You know the websites that you stumble across when you mistype a URL; the ones that ask or even attempt without asking to change your homepage. Is this a sign of how desperate Yahoo is for our business?

No comments: